What is Sinhala Writer?
The Sinhala Writer is a JAVA® based typing software solution that can be used to create Sinhala text using an ordinary English keyboard on Windows ™ environment with True Type Fonts (.ttf). Or we can say, it is typing Sinhala in Singlish. But the final output comes in Sinhala letters.
Yes, and it's totally free.
"raajYa seawaya piNisayi"Equals,
Therefore, you do not have to refer character maps and weird key combinations to produce Sinhala text. Sinhala Writer is ideal for producing short, informal documents, which can then be easily used to produce complex formal documents using professional word processing softwares.
Version 3.0 Released!!!
Key features of the software
- The Sinhala Writer is capable of writing almost every Sinhala letter combination used today.
It has the capability to change the Sinhala font type within its given selection of True Type Fonts. Complete font selection is shown below. You can even change the color of the text output.
- The Quick Insert Pane, that is an easy way to insert Sinhala character combinations to your text and it also helps to identify the existing key combinations used in the software.
- The Sinhala Writer allows you to save your work in Plain Text Format (.txt) and reopen it for editing afterwards.
- You can export your Sinhala text in the Rich Text Format (.rtf). And also print your Sinhala text.
- You can keep the software in the System Tray once you opened.
Click here to see the screen caps of the latest release.
Limitations of the software
- The Sinhala Writer is a application (i.e. created using Swing). So you can not directly run it on a computer without having the Virtual Machine (JVM) installed.
- You can't type any letter combination beyond the Writer's User Guide. And If you do so, in your output it will appear as a Star "*".
- If the words count is too large, the conversion process may take some time delay.